some people are like TVs, you get all you need to know from watching them...others are like books, you gotta work to know them and it takes time!

Thursday, September 11, 2008

7 Years Later

I can remember sitting in my favorite middle school class, American History. It was fourth period and we had this HUGE tv in the classroom. I had never even heard of the World Trade Center, I did know what the Pentagon was though(My dad is an ex-sailor). I just remember hearing folks saying that we were under attack, i didn't quite realize how huge the US is at that time. SO i figured that if it happened in NYC and the DC area, we were at risk too. It didn't help that some dumbass was saying that the next targets would be the schools with the smartest students, I was at the best school in the area...so we were all trying to get home. they herded us into the cafeteria and pulled out all the kids with connections to NYC, or DC. My friend couldn't get in contact with his dad, who was scheduled to fly to NYC early that morning...so we were all scared, it turns out he didn't even leave and came up to the school to reassure my buddy...we were all relieved.

But as time went on, I felt bad for the Muslim kids in my school, b/c folks were already acting rude to them talking about how they were terrorists. These were kids that we had known for a few years and hung out with regularly(well, not me, but the other kids...I didn't hang out when i was younger). I will admit...I had never flown and was not looking forward to ever doing it, and now clearly I try to fly everywhere that more than an 8-hour drive! Funny how things change! I was almost late class trying to watch the Pentagon ceremony, that memorial is nice!!

0 comments: