some people are like TVs, you get all you need to know from watching them...others are like books, you gotta work to know them and it takes time!

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

In DC, finally!!

Hey, y'all!! I'm here, in the nation's capital!! And so far I love it!!! I am broke of course, but come Friday, I will not be eating cereal anymore for breakfast and dinner!! They have kindly been giving me lunch!! I was downtown today and it was amazing!! I love how fast the city is...I swear I done sweated (is that a word??) out about 5 lbs in just one day!! But the pace is just fast enough for me!! I love the metro system, it is so comprehensive, and y'all know I like to go and get lost and find my way back. so I've been doing just that!! I had to get up at the butt-crack of dawn and go get a haircut, I made it to the barbershop at around 6:35 AM, I left the dorm at 6:00, the man was ten minutes late, but he did a good job!! I was of course late to the meeting, but it was only because I got lost and went to the wrong location (our morning meeting was different from the luncheon location), but I figured it out and went to the correct place, spending money I ain't got. but anyway, everyone was worried about me and was "so glad" I made it, like I was gonna get murdered...lol ;-D

I am so glad that this day is over, I will not be wearing a suit tomorrow!! I was sweating bullets, plus, I'm wearing it again on Friday, so I want it as clean as possible. I had on those hard bottomed shoes, and I gotta tell you, my dogs is BARKIN'!!!!! I really don't see how those women were doing it all day. I just found out from my roommate that our third is not here because he is just now graduating...wait for it...wait for it...High School!!! and there is this one girl here from Cali, she came even though her school still has classes going on...how random is she?? She is staying up all night writing papers...so glad I go to school in the south!!(gotta find something good, right??) all in all, I'm wondering what the apprehension was about!! I did something that is so out of character for me: I went to a table full of strangers and actually sat with them and laughed and conversed(that was for you Lucky...you know what I was thinking, and it ended in -ating). I can't wait until I have the money to go exploring the city, I found a "Filene's Basement" (Upward Mobility, that was for you, you know my tie collection is about to be off the chain!!)

I also decided that I am not gonna do that thing that I had planned to do...y'all know what I mean...that one thing. I just don't have the time or desire to deal with all the bull that comes along with it! so that lifts a weight off my shoulders. I am gonna try to work out every evening. I think I do enough cardio walking all over this campus, but I do love that the walks don't seem so far!! The only thing I'm not liking is the Humidity and the heat!!! it is too crazy!!!

I don't know what else to say right now, but if I think of something I'll update!! Off to my daily blogroll!!


The Woman at the Washington Zoo
by Randall Jarrell

The saris go by me from the embassies.



Cloth from the moon. Cloth from another planet.

They look back at the leopard like the leopard.



And I. . . .

this print of mine, that has kept its color

Alive through so many cleanings; this dull null

Navy I wear to work, and wear from work, and so

To my bed, so to my grave, with no

Complaints, no comment: neither from my chief,

The Deputy Chief Assistant, nor his chief--

Only I complain. . . . this serviceable

Body that no sunlight dyes, no hand suffuses

But, dome-shadowed, withering among columns,

Wavy beneath fountains--small, far-off, shining

In the eyes of animals, these beings trapped

As I am trapped but not, themselves, the trap,

Aging, but without knowledge of their age,

Kept safe here, knowing not of death, for death--

Oh, bars of my own body, open, open!



The world goes by my cage and never sees me.

And there come not to me, as come to these,

The wild beasts, sparrows pecking the llamas' grain,

Pigeons settling on the bears' bread, buzzards

Tearing the meat the flies have clouded. . . .

Vulture,

When you come for the white rat that the foxes left,

Take off the red helmet of your head, the black

Wings that have shadowed me, and step to me as man:

The wild brother at whose feet the white wolves fawn,

To whose hand of power the great lioness

Stalks, purring. . . .

You know what I was,

You see what I am: change me, change me!

4 comments:

K said...

Yea, don't let that "thing" boggle you down. Im glad you're enjoying it, and keep losing that weight. You'll come back to school with more experience, and a new look. You can't beat that...

Lucky said...

I'm slow. I can think of 2 things...one is for the upcoming school year and one was supposed to be for the summer. Which one are you quitting?

Unknown said...

Well, I'm glad you're enjoying it. And I'm also glad you found Filene's Basement. Anyway, it's good that you finally made your decision concerning that matter.

Bobby_2010 said...

the school year thing