some people are like TVs, you get all you need to know from watching them...others are like books, you gotta work to know them and it takes time!

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Independence Day(reflections)

I am up discussing the sad state of affairs today in these United States with Luncheon Loaf-
-The murder of a suspected cop-killer, what ever happened to innocent until proven guilty?
-Folks not being able to afford to actually live in this country unless one is independently wealthy
-The government's screwed up formula for calculatiing the unemployment rate
-My people, my people...I won't even go there today...that is for another, less reflective, more ranting time
-This presidential race...I have realized that Obama being elected POTUS, while great publicity for WA, and even a hope bringer for MA, also makes the job of opening the eyes of the country to the continued, and ever more institutionalized racism will be harder to point out and remedy...and this is not helped by "black Republicans(WHAT are these people anyway?? are they humans in the truest sense??)"
-look how far these Olympic Stars have fallen...it's pretty sad...what the hell??
-Folks being freed after being found innocent after DECADES in prison for crimes they didn't commit(what happened??)


so in spite o fall the negativity...

I, too, sing America.

I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong.

Tomorrow,
I'll be at the table
When company comes.
Nobody'll dare
Say to me,
"Eat in the kitchen,"
Then.

Besides,
They'll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed--

I, too, am America.

--Langston Hughes

1 comments:

Lucky said...

I love that poem. It was in The Great Debaters...so eloquent!